sE Munro Egg 150 Monitoring System
The sE Munro Egg 150 Monitoring System is the first in a series of sE Munro 'Active Integrated Monitoring Systems' designed by Andy Munro, James Ishmaev-Young and Siwei Zou. Download (PDF) sE Munro Egg Brochure
sE Egg Monitor News and Reviews:
- User Review from Ant West (Futures Band) "sE Munro have now set the benchmark.."
- User Review from Afterlife Studios (Cape Town, SA) "The Eggs have totally changed the way I create sounds & appreciate music"
- User Review from Chris Porter (David Bowie, Tina Turner, Wham, Take That, Pet Shop Boys, George Michael). "As soon as the sE Munro Egg 150’s arrived, literally within hours, my PMC TB2S went on eBay! …the most compelling reason being that the Eggs are the most refreshingly different speakers I have heard in many years"
- User Review from Stu Kennedy (BAFTA 'Behind The Mask', Torchwood: Miracle Day) "I started the BBC documentary on my Genelecs, but moved to the Egg 150’s mid-project and really noticed a difference in my mixes"
- Read Sound On Sound sE Munro 150 Review In Full (FREE) or download iPad edition of Sound On Sound (Jan 2012) FREE and read the review on your iPad NOW. "I’d urge those seriously contemplating a monitoring upgrade to take sE up on their free auditioning option .. the monitoring system stands direct comparison with its peers extremely well, and might even embarrass some!"
- sE Munro Egg Monitors takes pride of place at world class London recording studio, Sphere Studios. Francesco Cameli (Sphere's Chief Engineer) talks monitors, vintage gear and more in this interview. "The Egg 150’s sound astonishingly close in performance to the far more expensive M4 system and easily outperform anything of comparable size and price".
- Sweetwater sE Munro Egg Review. "sE and Andy Munro have somehow combined brutal honesty with extreme musicality. There's no chart or graph that can express that combination."
- User Review from Steve Bentley-Klein (Deep Purple, Burt Bacharach, Morcheeba). Extract: "The clarity is amazing!"
- Read world's first (Nov 2011) in-depth Egg Review via Audio Media Extract: "The sE Munro Egg might even cause other manufactures to rethink their pricing. I'm certain you'd have to go a way up the cost scale to find comparable quality."
sE Munro Egg Speaker - A Revolutionary Active Studio Monitor
The sE Munro Egg incorporates a fundamental rethink of the loudspeaker engineering process. The traditional wooden box has been replaced by a scientifically proven, curved enclosure that virtually eliminates diffraction and resonant effects that distort and smear the original sound.
The result is a stunning clarity that brings the smallest details into focus and yet delivers the entire mix as a coherent whole. In this video, Andy Munro talks about the the Egg system design, the manufacturing process, his partnership with sE Electronics and the 'Egg' concept:
sE Munro Egg 150 Monitoring System
The system is complete, with a free standing control unit that delivers a perfect bi-amplified power match to the egg drive units, source select inputs, active analogue crossovers, LF and HF trim pot equalisation for room and location set-up compensation and a mid-band control to emulate the mid-range response of both Hi-Fi and NS10 type speakers.
Above all, the sE Munro Egg 150 Monitoring System is designed to deliver the highest quality sound with the absolute minimum of coloration. In one word - Truth.
Key Features of the sE Munro Egg 150 Monitoring System
- Unique monocoque shell construction (rigid and resonant neutral)
- Near zero diffraction interference (smooth frequency response)
- No internal standing waves (greatly reduced smearing)
- Perfect bass port integration (superb transient response)
- Free standing control unit and integrated amplification with 3m matched speaker cables
- Dual input switching and level control
- Ultra fast and low distortion (4*50W) with 100W/Channel headroom indicator
- Precise 'sweet spot' – unique LED locator guide beams
- Integrated base with adjustable vertical alignment (allows for perfect sweet spot in both vertical and horizontal planes)
- Precision trim pots for bass (LF) and High Frequency (HF) calibration
- Critical Mid Frequency equalisation for ‘Hard’, ‘Soft’ or ‘Reference’ (0) listening
sE Munro Egg 150 - The Unflattering Active Studio Monitor
The result is a breath-taking transparency that within seconds of listening reveals a much more defined and open mix, in which the whole balance simply ‘feels’ more complete. Of course certain aspects of some recordings may be shown up to be distorted or not as the engineer intended, but that is the truth, unobscured by colouration. A monitor that flatters to deceive has no place in a professional recording studio and there is no argument for using poor quality speakers to match inferior playback media.
Well recorded material, translates to any medium, but the opposite is absolutely not true… if your monitors put a fake ‘sheen’ on everything, how will you ever know what your material sounds like on an honest system..? You may be embarrassed!
There is also a good argument for a fully analogue monitor. The bandwidth and dynamics of a true analogue system will show up the character of the digital system preceding it. It also removes issues with bit rate conversion and other compatibility matters.
By using high quality linear power supplies, the sE Egg system maintains maximum transient power up to double the rated value. Bi-amplification further enhances the power headroom and results in the lowest possible distortion values. By using 35V power rails the Egg is capable of high transient sound levels from a relatively modest amplifier compliment.
The sE Munro Egg 150 is the final product name of the "sE Munro Medium Egg Speaker" announced at Musikmesse and NAMM. The "150" refers to the approximate size of the driver. As more Egg Monitoring Systems are in development, it seemed foolish to term the first sE Munro speaker system as "medium" when it may not be in the fullness of time.
|Volume: 14 litres||25mm silk dome|
|Vented box configuration||Neodymium magnet|
|Box tuning frequency: 51Hz||Power rating: 40W rms, 80W music|
|Sensitivity: 95dB 1W/1m|
|Amplifier unit||LF Driver|
|Electronically balanced input stage||165mm Polypropylene cone|
|Analogue active crossover filters||Power rating: 50W rms, 100W music|
|Crossover frequency: 2.1kHz||Sensitivity: 89dB 1W/1m|
|LF amplifier: 50W rms|
|HF amplifier: 50W rms|